Seleziona una pagina

PLACES

Giardini del Frontone

The “Giardini del Frontone” are historic gardens of Perugia, located in the Borgo XX Giugno or Borgo Bello district, adjacent to St. Peter’s Basilica. The garden takes its name from the front of the triumphal arch, which closes the amphitheatre, designed by Baldassare Orsini (1778-1780). The composition of the vegetation is simple, but valuable, characterized by shrubby and seasonal herbaceous species inserted between secular trees, symbol of antiquity and the importance of this place. The park is flat, totally accessible, with avenues with gravel bottoms. Currently, due to its favourable sunny exposure, it is a meeting place for mothers with children, old ladies who stop at outdoor tables, dog friends and joggers.

The “Giardini del Frontone” are historic gardens of Perugia, located in the Borgo XX Giugno or Borgo Bello district, adjacent to St. Peter’s Basilica. The garden takes its name from the front of the triumphal arch, which closes the amphitheatre, designed by Baldassare Orsini (1778-1780). The composition of the vegetation is simple, but valuable, characterized by shrubby and seasonal herbaceous species inserted between secular trees, symbol of antiquity and the importance of this place. The park is flat, totally accessible, with avenues with gravel bottoms. Currently, due to its favourable sunny exposure, it is a meeting place for mothers with children, old ladies who stop at outdoor tables, dog friends and joggers.

Palazzo della Penna

The “Palazzo della Penna” was a prestigious noble residence, built in different stages between the 16th and the 19th centuries. It belonged first to the Vibi family, then to Mr. “Archpriests of the Pen”.
The particularity of the palace is certainly the historical stratification that makes it a monument of extreme interest. Built on the remains of a Roman amphitheatre, it still preserves traces of the ancient road layout and medieval walls. However, the building also has 15th century and late-Renaissance renovations.

Teatro Morlacchi

The “Teatro Morlacchi”, formerly Teatro del Verzaro, is the largest theater of Perugia. It is named after the musician Francesco Morlacchi

In 1777 the local middle class decided to build a new theater in response to the nobles who had built the Teatro del Pavone; ninety families then formed the “Society for the construction of a new theater”, which bought an old convent and commissioned the project to architect Alessio Lorenzini. Lorenzini gave the hall the classic shape of a horseshoe. In 1874 it was restructured and modified by Guglielmo Calderini, who gave the theater its current structure.

Chiesa di San Domenico

The “Basilica di San Domenico” is the largest religious building in the whole Umbria.
A church, titled the Pieve di Santo Stefano del Castellare, was present at the site since about the 5th century. Construction of the precursor to the present church, also known as San Domenico Vecchio, began in 1304, and was constructed over the pre-existing church. According to Giorgio Vasari, it was designed by Giovanni Pisano. That church was consecrated in 1459. By 1614–1615, the San Domenico Vecchio church was dilapidated, showing structural problems, and threatening collapse. New plans for refurbishment were implemented. The church façade retains a late 16th-century portal and is now double Baroque staircase. The interior was renovated in 1629–1632 by Carlo Maderno.

Museo Archeologico

The Archaeological Museum is located in the large spaces of the ancient Convent of San Domenico, founded in 1233. It offers a prehistoric section, containing finds found in settlements and caves in central Italy from the Palaeolithic to the Bronze Age, as well as an important exhibition of materials from the ancient Umbrian and Etruscan centres and Roman sites in the modern Umbria region.

Palazzo dei Priori

The “Palazzo dei Priori” was built in different stages. The first (1293 – 1297) involved the left section and was built by Jacopo di Servadio and Giovannello di Benvenuto. It is characterised by a series of mullioned windows and an imposing Gothic portal leading to the Sala dei Notari. The right section, with its triple-arched portico, built on the site of the church of San Severo di Piazza, was added in 1335.
It was hugely altered during the Church’s dominion, but was restored to its original state after 1860. In 1902 the new steps fan shaped substituted the two ramps, leading to the Sala dei Notari and the Sala della Vaccara were added.
Palazzo dei Priori is seat of the Comune di Perugia (Perugia Municipality), of the Galleria Nazionale of Umbria and of the two most important medieval guilds: the Nobile Collegio della Mercanzia (Merchants’ Guild) and the Nobile Collegio del Cambio (Moneychangers’ Guild).

Sant’ Ercolano

The “Chiesa of Sant’Ercolano” was dedicated to Herculanus, the patron saint of Perugia who was martyred in 548 AD. The church was built between 1297 and 1326 close to the Etruscan walls.
It is in the form of an octagonal tower, originally structured on two floors. The present external staircase was modified in the 17th century. The interior has a rich baroque decoration.

Galleria Nazionale dell’Umbria

The National Gallery of Umbria is a museum located in the Palazzo dei Priori in Perugia.
It is organised following a chronological exhibition itinerary structured in 40 rooms on a total surface of 4,000 square meters. It houses one of the most complete collection of artworks in Italy dated between XIII and XIX Centuries, with works by Duccio di Boninsegna, Benedetto Bonfigli, Bartolomeo Caporali, Gentile da Fabriano, Beato Angelico, Benozzo Gozzoli, Piero della Francesca, Pinturicchio, Perugino, Orazio Gentileschi, Pietro da Cortona, Gian Lorenzo Bernini and others.

Sala dei Notari

The Sala dei Notari is a magnificent rectangular hall supported by eight large arches, originally used for the people’s assemblies during the Free Commune. After 1582, it became seat of the powerful “Arte dei Notai” association, from which it takes its present name.
Only a few fragments remain of the original XIII-XIV Century frescoes. Most have been painted over or incorporated into the legends, tales, bible stories and coats of arms, including those of the Captains of the People and the Podestà by Matteo Tassi (1885). On the back wall stands out the coat of arms of Braccio Fortebraccio (One of the most important Lord of Perugia in the XV and XVI Century), while along the side walls are stalls and seats, rebuilt after XVI Century fashion.
Totally altered during three centuries of Papal rule, it was restored to its original state after 1860.

Sant’Anna

The Sant’Anna Foundation Hall is located inside a former convent of Poor Clare nuns of the 14th century dedicated to St. Mary of the Angels. In the 15th century a community of Canons Regular of St. Augustine succeeded it. At the end of the 18th century the building was used as an orphanage. Until the ’70s of the last century, it housed the female section of the ONAOSI boarding school, today it is the seat of cultural associations and public schools.The neoclassical style façade is the work of Giovanni Santini (1851-1857).The hall has a single room in neoclassical style with a barrel vaulted ceiling, divided into 4 bands that mark the bays. Along the nave are the former chapels, whose walls still bear parts of frescoes. Since 2007 it has been restored by the owner Fondazione Sant’Anna and transformed into a multipurpose room for cultural events and shows.

Officine Fratti

Officine Fratti is a place that has gone through different historical eras, always managing to transform itself and adapt to the new uses that modernity proposed, lastly that of coworking.

Sala Podiani

Inside the Palazzo dei Priori, in the centre of Perugia, above the Sala dei Notari is the Sala Podiani originally used by the Capitano del Popolo.
On the back wall there are fragments of frescos dating back to the 14th century where the coats of arms probably referable to this municipal magistracy are depicted. The imposing wooden ceiling is a reconstruction of 1893.
The name derives from the Perugian bibliophile Prospero Podiani, who in 1582 donated part of his library to the Municipality of Perugia, which was housed in this room until 1968.
At present the Podiani Room is an integral part of the museum itinerary of the National Gallery of Umbria and is used for temporary exhibitions, musical events, conferences and other collateral activities.

ISPS CONGRESS 2022

We are honoured to invite you to the 22nd International Conference of ISPS in Perugia in 2022
The first regional network working with the country’s mental health services was established in January 1971 in Umbria – and Perugia more specifically. Mental institutions saw an eradication from their violent past thanks to a rise in humanity and political civility. Such was the case in Perugia, Arezzo, Trieste, Gorizia, Parma, Reggio Emilia, Turin, where the first revolutionary flowers of a renaissance in caregiving began to bloom; soon to blossom in the rest of the world.
The ISPS has significantly contributed in this expansion of humane interventions. The passion of its members, their knowledge, and competence were keys to the organisation’s development which represents an extraordinary ongoing voyage full of enthusiasm and hope.
Today after more than 50 years of experience, we ask ourselves, how has the care of psychosis changed in psychological and social terms?
What steps have we accomplished? Where did we get stuck? And, where do we still fall short?
Which methods have flourished and what were and are their limitations which continue to stunt the process of rendering psychotic experiences more humane?
What are the themes that need highlighting within the psychological, social and humane approaches to psychosis present in today’s practice? Which remain unresolved, or invisible? What new approaches are emerging?
In recent months, a questionnaire asked ISPS members what words they would choose for the title of this conference. The three words most frequently chosen were: Healing, Love, and Community.
Love and community both being present in the process of Healing.
We hope to see you in Perugia in September 2022.